Silla - 437
Silla de madera compensada y curvada de fresno natural o lacado negro.
Designed by Charles and Ray Eames in 1942/46. This chair is one of the plywood furniture models developed by Charles Eames and his wife, Ray Kaiser in the period between 1942 and 1946. This dining chair along with the similar but lower lounge chair were made in 1945. However, all of the parts that go into these chairs appear on other models in a composite photograph of 1944. The seat and back were fastened to the frame by reinforced rubber disks and ovals which were bonded to the plywood parts by a special process developed by the Chrysler Corporation called "cycle-welding". The rubber joints make the parts seem to float near each other. Moreover, the flexibility of the rubber adds to the comfort of the chair. By 1950, this chair with plywood legs, along with the lower lounge version, was no longer in production. Another chair, composed of the same seat and back mouted on a thin tubular steel frame was also shown at the 1946 Museum of Modern Art show. This chair, popularly known as the "potato chip chair", has remained in production until the present day.